Monday, May 1, 2017

“Each time you say hello to a stranger, your heart acknowledges over and over again that we are all family.” ― Suzy Kassem

            Many of you know of my love for inexpensive watches and my participation in a watch forum on the internet.  Every day, people from all over the world post pictures of the watch they are wearing that day.  Some also post pictures of their pets, or their background, or the car they are driving, but they never post pictures of themselves or their families.  They don’t use their real names on the forum and many don’t even let you know the country in which they live.  Some do, so I know that some are from France, Croatia, Belarus, the U.K., Italy, Canada, Australia, Korea, and all over the United States.  I love seeing the watches and especially reading about those who write about their lives.  I post a couple of pictures of my watch of the day and then either animal pictures from the Serengeti or pictures of our mission and our work.  I do have my own picture posted and that I live in Bunda, Tanzania.  I also always end every post urging those reading to be kind to one another—it just seems right.  Normally, I would never post things making me look good (just wasn’t raised that way), but I was urged by some people I respect to share some.  I had no idea that my pictures and quotes were touching people, but I am reprinting here a few of the many personal messages they have sent to me: 

Just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your posts every day on this forum. Not only do you have awesome photos of watches (and Africa) but your stories and your messages trying to spread kindness and helpfulness in an increasingly unkind and unhelpful and hateful world (and which sometimes seeps even into this forum) are very much welcome to my ears at least. Keep up the impressive work you are doing. 

The world can learn a valuable lesson from you.

Your posts and thought for the day have become something that I look forward to every day. 

Like everyone else on WUS, I am regularly inspired by your posts, your attitude toward life, and the work you do, so first, I’d like to say a big thank you. I also enjoy your “Missionary Musings,” though it usually causes my eyes to leak a bit.

I really enjoy seeing the pictures that you always post of where you live and the interesting facts about them. We in the US do, indeed, take many things for granted that the rest of the world has a hard time obtaining. God bless you as you minister there.

Love reading your posts, always full of warmth and kindness. I actually do try to be nicer to people because of your posts. Thank you.


          Several of these unknown strangers have sent me watches to give away to the people here (I get to keep one or two) and some have made contributions to our mission or to help pay for medical expenses (I have never asked for any—these were unsolicited) saying they just wanted to help in some small way.  My point is this, we never know about the ripples we cause in the pond from the tiny pebble that we drop.  Please go out of your way to drop more pebbles, to plant more trees whose shade you will never live to enjoy, and remind people to be kind to each other.  It is what God is calling you to do.


By clicking on this link, you can go to my watch forum from a few days ago.  I’m number 18 on the page.

 http://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/%5C%5C%5C%5C%5C%5C%5C%5C%5C%5Cwruw-april-28th-friday-4278002-2.html

Post a Comment