Thursday, March 16, 2017

“Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.” — Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.



         In 1963, I was a senior in high school in Midland, Texas, the same high school that a few notables attended like Laura Welch (later became First Lady, Laura Bush); a young man with a little acting talent, Tommy Lee Jones; a kid with a ’63 Corvette who would later become the General of the Army during the Iraq invasion, Tommy Franks; and the only one who would be helping to support our mission here 54 years later, my sister, Penny.  One of the most popular singing groups for my little circle of friends was The Kingston Trio and to this day, I can still sing all the words to all their songs.  The one that got to me, though, was “Desert Pete.”  See, I figured out, all those years ago, that the character Desert Pete was really supposed to stand for Jesus.  Once I made that connection, the song made real sense and has stayed with me forever.  So, the blog today is that song, and I ask you to please click on the link below, use “full screen” to see the lyrics if your eyes are like mine, and remember, all the way through, that “Desert Pete” is Christ.  Got it?   Desert Pete = Christ    Christ = Desert Pete   The guy singing the song?  That’s you, okay?  This is a song about Christ and you, so please play it and pay attention to the words.  I never knew when I first heard this that I would one day be living in a world of drought and wells and pumps.  I got it then, I get it now.  It’s less than three minutes out of your day, and it may just change your life.  Do it! 

Click on this link:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08kEFELCb3I
Post a Comment