Tuesday, February 7, 2017

“If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart. I'll stay there forever.” ― A.A. Milne

Every now and then, someone comes along and puts into words and song exactly how I feel about my wife, and Neil Diamond (much older than when we saw him at the Greek Theater in Los Angeles in the 70’s) has written a love song that is what I wish I could have written to my beloved.    It covers our entire 52+ years together from the start to now and tomorrow.  The song doesn’t talk about the times we don’t agree on things or that I raise my voice when I shouldn’t and regret it later, but we’re in love and get through all those times—like the times when I have “a little bit of sorrow” and when I have to fight “through a little bit of rain.”  There’s a link at the bottom to a music video if you want to hear Mr. Diamond sing it (he does it well).  I can put places and names and dates to almost every line of this song.  Hope you like it, hope maybe it rings true for you and your love as well.  This is for my beloved who has loved me more than she should have, thank God.

Something Blue  by Neil Diamond

I came with a little bit of sorrow
Was maybe a bit too sad
But one day rolled into tomorrow
And you gave me the best you had
That's how we started together
And how together we're gonna stay

You taught me a little 'bout good times
I fought through a little bit of rain
You brought me a part of your sunshine
You took in the heart of my pain
It wasn't supposed to happen
But then you happened to come my way

Every night, every day
Every word that you say made it so
Every thought that I had
Said I ought to be glad, now I know

You showed what a little bit of love can do
You opened my eyes and a light came through
Took me to a place that I never knew
Goodbye to my little bit of something blue

You came and you found me wanting
And I'm saying that I'm in your debt
Some days were a little bit daunting
Some days I'd rather forget
You changed my life for the better
And I know I'd better be good to you

Every night, every day
Every word that you say made it so
Every thought that I had
Said I ought to be glad, now I know

You showed what a little bit of love can do
You opened my eyes and a light came through
Took me to a place that I never knew
So long to my little bit of something blue

It wasn't supposed to happen
But then you happened to come my way

Every night, every day
Every word that you say made it so
Every thought that I had
Said I ought to be glad. Now I know

You showed what a little bit of love can do
You opened my eyes and a light came through
Took me to a place that I never knew
Goodbye to my little bit of something blue

Farewell to my little bit of something blue.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qjqysU36tw
Post a Comment