Tuesday, January 17, 2017

There is no blog today, but you may find this interesting.


I wrote this list for Facebook a few years ago, updated a couple of items, but here it is, twenty-five random things that I've done or enjoy.

1. Have swum across the Amazon--getting parasites in the process—upriver from Iquitos, Peru.
2. Have sailed an America's Cup 12 meter yacht, the Canadian True North IV racing against Stars and Stripes and winning.
3. Have built and slept in an igloo on top of Mt. San Antonio in California (see yesterday's blog).
4. Have attended Divine Worship with the Ecumenical Patriarch in the Church of St. George in Istanbul.
5. Studied under Elie Wiesel at Boston University.
6. Walked across Walden Pond in the winter.
7. Camped in the Serengeti on several occasions.
8. Hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon with my wife and three-year-old son, Chris, and camped there for a week
9. Have snowshoed into a wilderness area with wife and son, Chris for a Thanksgiving meal of hot soup cooked over a little propane stove
10.  After a blizzard, cross country skied to my church in Stoneham, MA, where thirty hearty people waited
11. Have had eleven surgeries here in Africa--three with no anesthetic.
12. Have helped build a church in the jungle on the Amazon in Peru.
13.  Have celebrated Holy Communion on the banks of the Amazon and at the Orthodox Ecumenical Center in Chambesy, Switzerland
14. Have an implanted defibrillator, bad feet, severe sleep apnea, high blood pressure, allergies, skin cancer, am terribly overweight, but still serving God until I am called home.
15. Love my life here on the edge of the Serengeti with my wife of 51 years and my middle son, John.
16. Wish my father had lived to see me as a missionary and bishop.
17. Welcome all who can make it to come stay with us here.
18. Didn't become a Christian until I was 40 years old, but have served as a minister for 20 years since then, an evangelist for four, a missionary for five, and a bishop for eight years--not bad for such a latecomer to the party.
19. Have really close friends scattered all over the globe, but none close.
20. Love classical music and British mysteries.
21. Have no aptitude for fixing anything but can write a poem about feeling inept.
22. Have my heart broken at least once a week by the deaths, disease, and betrayal here.
23. Need constant prayer support from others.
24. Have the love of God to sustain me.
25. Have the love of my wife to fill the holes in my soul.
Post a Comment