Friday, January 27, 2017

“A person whose head is bowed and whose eyes are heavy from the burden he or she carries cannot look at the light that will lift the burden and save the carrier.” ― Christine de Pizan


     The word “yoke” is a little, four-letter word that never refers to a single entity but always defines a single thing for connecting two living, breathing creatures.  The yoke has been around for thousands of years, and, when Christ uses the word in speaking to His followers, they all understood exactly what He meant—that thing that hooks two oxen together so that they can plow the land so that it will bring forth food.  No one had to turn to the one standing nearby and ask, “What’s a ‘yoke’?”  It was what Christ was saying about the yoke that was startling.  Christ said in Matthew  “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”  Did you hear that?  Do you know what He is offering you?  He was saying that He was already in one half of the yoke, waiting for you to join Him.  He was saying that though yokes were made of heavy, strong wood, His yoke was “easy” and how hard could it be to be pulling alongside the Son of God?  He went on to say that His burden was “light” since He would be doing more than half of the pulling.  In this short message, Christ is inviting us to be “yoked” with Him and that whenever or whatever we would be doing, He would always be united with us and providing His strength whenever it was needed.  To quote a very old movie, now that was “an offer you couldn’t refuse.”    Maybe you’ve heard the phrase that a joy shared is doubled but a burden shared is halved.  However, if Christ is the one sharing the burden, I would suggest that it is much more than just halved.  Christ is asking us to accept His eternal companionship and offering to work beside us forever.  I’m not going to refuse that offer.  I accept, Lord, for whatever You need me to do.  If we love Him, how can we do less?  He is saying that we will never be alone or face any task without Him by our side doing more than half the work.  That’s amazing.  That’s almost unbelievable, but that’s what He is offering.  Do you accept?  Will you put your head in the other half of a yoke that has Christ the King on the other side?  This is something that will change your life—forever.  I suggest you take His offer very seriously.  I suggest you say “Yes!”
Post a Comment