Sunday, December 18, 2016

“When it comes to worry, our problem is we fear an invisible future that a timeless God has seen. Perhaps you should talk to Him about it.” ― Eddie Capparucci



       When you have to spend a lot of time in bed and can’t read or watch tv, you get to think a lot about the grand questions of life.  It will come as no surprise to most of you that I have already figured out the answers to almost all of the big questions.  Well, to say that I figured it out is really just another way of saying that God has revealed much to me and taught me to go through the doors He opens while trusting completely in Him.  What follows here falls under the category of “Wiggins Theology 101” which means you can dismiss everything I say as utter rubbish, and I’m sure some of you will.  Still, I plod on in my understanding that part of why I’m here is to present ideas to you guys that might turn on a light bulb somewhere.  I truly believe that the entire universe and all its people were created out of love.  God is love and created us His children as we create our own and love them before they even take their first breath.  I also believe that we were created for each other—that the people we touch, with whom we make contact, even seemingly accidental connections are all part of God’s plan—a plan that we don’t know and shouldn’t know.  Every wonderfully good thing that has happened in my life has been because of a relationship with someone else, my wedding, the births of my children, the love my parents showed me, the grade I got on a paper from a professor I admired, hearing a child telling me that they love me, or even a Tibetan Terrier wagging its tail when it sees me—all these things bring me happiness and they all involve others.  I know the profound role that the people I have encountered along my meandering through life have played and changed who I am and what I am.  There are people I have only known very briefly yet touched me deeply and changed my life.  There are people I haven’t seen or spoken to in years that I still hear whenever I am really quiet, and they tell me good things, things I need to know and remember.  My heart swells when my wife leans over and kisses the top of my head as she passes my chair on her way down the hall.  As the old song tells it, it’s the little things that mean the most.  Once, struggling up a steep bank of the Amazon river on a mission trip, I suddenly felt the touch of a child’s hand in mine.  A shyly smiling face that didn’t know my language was wanting to help me climb that last few feet and changed forever the way I feel about peoples I don’t know.  This Christmas, don’t spend so much time worrying about gifts and spend more time remembering those agents of God, angels if you will, who at some time in your life put their little hand in yours, smiled at you and encouraged you to continue.  There is not a single one of us who has not benefitted from God’s touch coming from either a friendly and well known relationship or a chance meeting of a stranger in an airport or on a bus.  God has a plan for all of us, He just doesn’t show it to us all at once.  We get it in small touches and strangely warmed hearts.  All I am asking is for you to be open to expect and accept that God’s grace will come to you in a way you are not expecting.  That’s my “Theology 101,” you can treat it as rubbish, or you can think about it, reflect on it, and if it has truth, embrace it.  The choice is wholly yours.  All I know is that I am still here because God still has something or someone I have yet to touch.  I’ll put up with whatever suffering is necessary to give God my hand when He needs it.  I’m feeling much better, so all I know for sure is that heaven is going to have to wait for me.  I must still be about my Father’s business for a little longer.  At least that’s how I see it.
Post a Comment