Monday, August 8, 2016

“There is no more compelling motivation to good works than the knowledge that we are children of God, that God expects us to do something with our lives, and that He will give us help when help is sought.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley


    We have a really good and close relationship with our local doctor and his wife, who is also a doctor.  He has brought his daughters to our house which is an indicator of how close we are.  He also comes by occasionally to watch football (soccer) matches with me.  He wears a watch I gave him and refuses to let me pay for any medical procedure or medications.  Last night, Karen was in a lot of pain, and we didn’t know what it was and were worried.  I called Dr. Chris who was in Musoma but drove, in the dark which is dangerous, back to Bunda immediately to see Karen.  He quickly diagnosed the problem, gave her an injection for pain, a prescription for the infection, and asked me to call him this morning for an update.  His youngest daughter was recently diagnosed with Type One Diabetes which came as a big blow to him.  I was able to give him a glucose test kit for her with 150 test strips which made me feel good—to be able to help my helper.  He will let me give him money to pay for those who come to him without any hope of paying for his services.  He studied medicine in Europe, and his wife is a pediatrician and the pair of them could make really good money in any big city, but he is committed to helping the rural poor in the area where he grew up.  I so admire him for his dedication and devotion to caring for others who really need help.  His English is exceptional, and we can just sit and chat about almost anything.  Last night after Karen had gone to sleep (the pain injection made her drowsy), he and I watched the Arsenal/Manchester City football match and talked about the importance of being a good father.  I really treasure his visits, but he spends so much time helping others, I am reluctant to ask him to come over just to watch football (soccer) and talk, yet I do so love it when we do.  He and I share similar senses of calling (he is a devout Christian) to the poor people of Tanzania.  He wants John to help him with computerizing medical records and teaching him how to build and install security cameras like the ones John has done here.  In a world where medical services are poor at best, it is such a blessing (thank you, God) to have such an excellent doctor as a friend who will drop everything to rush to help us when we need it.  While I was writing this, he called to see how Karen is doing, to ask about my health, and to remind me about the game last night.  He is a good friend.  There have been times when he was out of town and his wife has rushed to my aid to set me up with IV’s and to keep me healthy through some very bad malaria bouts.  She speaks excellent English as well and loves to tease and joke with me.  Dr. Chris and his wife are truly “thank-you notes” from God in my mind and in Karen’s.  It’s like God saying, I know you’re both in your seventies, but I’ve got this and will take care of you.  That’s a really good feeling.  It’s also a good feeling knowing that if I post on Facebook that Karen, John, or I need prayers for our health issues that many, many prayers will be prayed quickly and for as long as we need them.  We may be the only non-Africans in a big area here, but we are not alone by any means.  God keeps us in His Grace and Love and lets us know that we are His.  It’s a good feeling.

Post a Comment