Friday, August 26, 2016

“It may not be an easy thing to live in sweet fellowship with all those with whom we come in contact; but that is what the grace of God is given to us for.” ― D.L. Moody



     Francis is a worker who has been with us for about nine years.  His nine-year-old daughter wandered away and was gone for two days until she was found with a friend in a village on the edge of the Serengeti National Park about twenty kilometers from here.  We don’t know the details, but we know she is now home and happy and healthy.  We may never know all the details, but we don’t have to know them.  She was lost, we prayed, and she was found.  That’s amazing grace enough for me.  As I was thinking about amazing grace, I remembered new words for that wonderful old hymn that had been written in 1994 about the new situations in America where amazing grace was needed but failed to appear.  Allen Ginsberg wrote the words to the “New Amazing Grace” and I think it is timely to repeat them here.  More prayer is fervently needed for just about everywhere.  

New Stanzas for Amazing Grace 
     BY ALLEN GINSBERG

I dreamed I dwelled in a homeless place 
Where I was lost alone 
Folk looked right through me into space 
And passed with eyes of stone 

O homeless hand on many a street 
Accept this change from me 
A friendly smile or word is sweet 
As fearless charity 

Woe workingman who hears the cry 
And cannot spare a dime 
Nor look into a homeless eye 
Afraid to give the time 

So rich or poor no gold to talk 
A smile on your face 
The homeless ones where you may walk 
Receive amazing grace 

I dreamed I dwelled in a homeless place 
Where I was lost alone 
Folk looked right through me into space 
And passed with eyes of stone 

It is my prayer that these words become meaningless as we shed our “eyes of stone” for eyes where grace is shown and where grace is home.

Post a Comment