Sunday, August 14, 2016

“I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish he didn't trust me so much.” — Corrie ten Boom



     Scientists can know many things and yet can’t really tell why some things are.  Scientists know, or say they do, that wind is caused by movements from low pressure to high pressure areas, but they can’t predict where those areas are going to be or how strong the winds will be.  We can see a hurricane, know what it is, but we cannot accurately predict exactly where it is going or how fast it will get there.  There are brave men and women who fly right into the hearts of hurricanes to give us better information about them, at the risk of their own lives, yet we still have to guess and estimate.  We don’t know how many hurricanes will occur this year or where or with what intensity, but we do know that they will most probably happen.  Not very precise for people who can time Olympic races to the one thousandth of a second.  This kind of fuzzy knowledge doesn’t bother me a bit.  It’s just God at work.  God can make bumblebees fly, bicycles stay upright, and whales migrate 3,000 miles to their exact birthing place.  We may not know how, but we don’t need to know everything.  There is so much around us that we don’t know, cannot know, and will probably never know that shouldn’t upset us but calm us because we know it is God at work.  We see some beautiful birds here in our mission compound, and, when we look them up, we find out they are not supposed to be in this area, but here they are.  We can plant a coconut and watch the tree that springs from the soil as it grows, but we can’t make it make another coconut for about seven years.  God doesn’t mind waiting for a good coconut.  I was watching a National Geographic special on the Serengeti (since it is right behind our hills) and saw that wildebeests can run within five minutes of their birth.  Compare that to humans who take years to achieve that simple task.  Then watch some Olympic runners and compare them to yourselves and marvel.  God does things that we don’t understand, but we don’t have to understand.  We just have to trust God.  My beloved wife has a kidney stone (discovered by ultrasound yesterday) but even with medication and doing all the right things, we have to wait for God.  It will pass but only in God’s time, just like everything else in our lives.  We want to live by the stopwatch when God can hardly see calendars.  I have always gotten what I needed but never when I wanted it or in the ways that I expected it.  I’m grateful that God’s grace supplies my needs, and only sometimes ungrateful that He doesn’t supply my wants.  The problem is with me, not with God.  Once I have said, “Here am I, send me” then I don’t get to make conditions, I accept the task I am given wherever it is and under whatever terms God dictates.  Knowing that God is in charge is very calming.  It is acknowledging that I am not in control and that God is that is sometimes difficult to do.  God can handle far bigger problems than I can, and I will happily relax, let go, and let God.  What else is there?  
Post a Comment