Wednesday, February 17, 2016

“Friendship marks a life even more deeply than love. Love risks degenerating into obsession, friendship is never anything but sharing.” ― Elie Wiesel

I am home and safe back in Bunda as of yesterday.  Four hours crammed into a small seat in a plane and three hours in a car, but home is so very sweet.  Especially since John and Shaban had built me a new bed and made or bought things to make my life behind a walker an easy and good one.  Family and friends are so very important to me as without them I would have died back in January.  Everyone had a special and thankless and helpful way to touch my life and my heart.  Many, many people prayed, sent money, sent messages of love and encouragement that I have never felt so special.  There were some very low times, but they were more than overwhelmed by those who believed in me.  Without the selfless and sacrificial deeds and words of Daniel Kroppach, a German missionary friend in Nairobi, I would surely have died, but if my son John had not called him and asked for his help, and if others did not send him money to pay for things . . . well, this story would have had a very different ending.  I have a the best implanted defibrillator out there inside my chest now since the other died last October and messed me up.  I have a new wire down into my heart beside the 20-year old wire that was already there.  Now, it’s just a torn tendon in my ankle that has to heal, slowly over about four months, but it gets a little better every day and I can get around almost everywhere with my walker.  I was overwhelmed by the financial support that came from family, friends, and people I don’t even know.  One man gave $36, but it’s not the amount that was special, it was the context.  This is what the man wrote to my son John when he sent the money to PayPal:

From a friend from on your Dad’s “Affordable Watch Forum” who always looks forward to reading postings from your Dad who seems to be a true saint. I hope this small amount will help contribute to his care and recovery. I am Jewish but from the pictures and stories from your Dad, what he does would seem to supersede any religious boundaries. The reason I chose to donate $36 is that it is a multiple of the number 18 which in Hebrew is Chai which means "life". May your Dad have a Refua Shlema, (a rapid and complete recovery). Be well.

I thank each and every one of you who had faith in me and backed it up in words, deeds, and prayers.  I hope to have a “Refua Shlema” and am working every day to make that happen.  I have more work to do for my God who is good all the time.
Post a Comment