Tuesday, December 1, 2015

“Despite the real danger of malaria, a wide swath of people of every age and education level and nationality imagine mosquito nets to be ‘confining' and 'suffocating’ which is sort of stupid.” ― T.K. Naliaka (okay, I get it)

     John is in Musoma today fixing bugs and unexpected problems with the solar systems that are really taking off—very popular.  However, whenever you do something for the first time, there will be things no one thought would happen.  A customer paid one week early for the entire month, but the computer simply started counting at the time of payment and cut the man off a week before his time should have run out.  No one had considered what to do if people paid early, so John will reprogram the entire system to deal with just that problem.  And there are others, so he expects a long day today. 
     After going four years without a malaria attack, I thought I was immune, especially since I had not been sleeping under a mosquito net (I am a little claustrophobic, see quote above).  Turns out that Shaban’s wife is skilled at making custom mosquito nets, and Shaban, Karen, and John took it upon themselves to have her make me one for my bed that would not make me feel closed in and would have enough room for my CPAP machine.  It also had to have a door since I have to go to the bathroom several times a night (old man’s prostate problems).  The result was beautiful, and I just love it (picture at the right).  There are weights in the bottom that keeps it in constant contact with the floor, and it is suspended so that the ceiling fan can still operate.  The door is amazing in how simple yet effective it is.  I was gobsmacked (British word that means wowed, amazed, etc.).
     We were supposed to meet with the headmaster of the boarding school in which we are trying to enroll Charlini tomorrow, but my surgery for removing four skin cancers from my face and head was postponed till tomorrow because of the malaria, so the meeting was rescheduled, but we are pretty sure there will be no problems.  We are still working on adoption, but that has to go slowly and carefully, and we will wait till she is securely in the boarding school before we proceed.
     We got some bad news about a dear friend in the U.S. that I cannot share except to ask for prayers for all those who have been supporting our mission here.  It will help the person who needs it as well as everyone else—and I don’t know of anyone who doesn’t need prayers.
     Thanks to all of you who prayed for me during my bout with malaria.  I am surrounded by angels, and you know who you are.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Post a Comment