Saturday, October 10, 2015

“A wonderful gift may not be wrapped as you expect.” ― Jonathan Lockwood Huie

John came home from a week in Dar Es Salaam very happy having created solutions to some vexing problems and pleasing almost everyone.  He even earned the nickname “The Professor” because he could find solutions so easily.  Needless to say, he came home in a good mood, tired, but happy and with a lot of work to do.  Karen went with Shaban to Mwanza to pick him up from the airport and got her hair done so she looks really pretty and feels good about herself as well.  Of course, she was exhausted and went to bed early with John following close behind. I was up very late or very early, around one in the morning, having trouble sleeping because of the bad cold I have been battling over the last few days.  Listening to cello music on my headphones seems to help as does working on my computer.  When the house is dark and everyone is asleep, it is easy to feel very, very alone, especially when you know you are one of only three non-Africans in a thirty-mile radius.  Then I saw an item posted on Facebook explaining why we were having so many power cuts lately.  The government is closing all the hydroelectric plants because of low rainfall.  They promise to get things back to normal by October 20th, but we will see.  The delightful thing is that I commented on the post which was made by an Australian missionary friend who is back home for a furlough—about 10,000 miles away, and she responded almost immediately bringing a quick smile to my face.  What a culture to live in where a friend over 10,000 miles away and on another continent, can lift your spirits with a few key strokes of her computer?  It certainly got me to thinking about all the friends I can contact the same way who haven’t heard from me in quite a while.  We need to reach out and touch those who are parts of our hearts but are not nearby.   All smiles do not need to be seen to be uplifting and reminding us that we are not alone at all.  I went to sleep feeling better, so thank you, Samantha Archer and give my love to all your family.  Ya’ll reach out, too.  It doesn’t take much to make a day (or night) brighter. 
Post a Comment