Monday, September 28, 2015

“Why do men like me want sons?" he wondered. "It must be because they hope in their poor beaten souls that these new men, who are their blood, will do the things they were not strong enough nor wise enough nor brave enough to do.” ― John Steinbeck

My youngest son arrived yesterday and I was very happy. He came in spite of his boss being against it, but you never know when you will see each other again with continents separating your homes.  When you go years between seeing your children in person, feeling the warmth of their hugs, seeing the tears and love in their eyes, it is very special to be near them again.  Also lots of fun as my oldest, my youngest, and myself played video golf together and talked about what has been happening in their lives.  My sons don’t see each other very often, either, being separated by so many miles, and with my youngest having a family of five to support.  It was also funny how differently we remembered the same things (Chris and Keith are twelve years apart).  The memories were all good ones, just remembered from different perspectives because that’s who we are, we can’t remember anything from anyone else’s perspective except our own.  What we do remember is the love, good times and bad, and the support we had for each other whenever it was needed.  These are things we all need.  We need to feel loved, worthwhile, happy in our lives, and looking for good things in the future.  That is especially true if you just found out you have at least ten more years of future.  No one knows when their time will be, but at least I don’t have a “best if used by” date anymore.  I am probably beginning the last decade of my life, but it is a great way to begin it knowing and feeling the love and support from my family that lives so far away.  Being in the other room and hearing my sons’s laughing with each other made my heart swell with pride, love, and hope.  I have always wanted to be remembered as a good husband, a good father, a good friend, a good man, and a good servant of God.  I feel pretty strongly after listening to my sons tell me what they have learned from me and my life that the “good father” part is true.  What joy and peace comes from that.
Post a Comment