Tuesday, September 29, 2015

“I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

I am so very grateful to my son who paid to fly me to New York and paid for the doctors who confirmed that I have at least another decade to live.  My son and his wife have treated me like royalty (which I don’t deserve) and have showered me with love.  My youngest son, not knowing when he would ever see me again, managed to get a free airline ticket and while his boss wasn’t overly excited about him taking off a few days, he flew here to spend time with me and that, too, has been wonderful.  As missionaries, we make many sacrifices built into that “Here I am, send me” answer to God’s call.  The hardest for us involve missing our families and I have had the wonderful gift of time with my own.  John had a week with his brother last year, and Karen had six weeks with family in the U.S. also last year, and so we have all been blessed.  I even had a visual “hangout” with my grandchildren today.  And, of course, back in Tanzania, we finally have those court cases and fights with the Kenyan church now behind us having overcome as God was on our side.  So now, I have another ten or more years to live as long as I don’t poke sleeping lions.  The problem now . . . well, let me tell you a story about Albert Einstein.

Einstein was once traveling from Princeton on a train when the conductor came down the aisle, punching the tickets of every passenger. When he came to Einstein, Einstein reached in his vest pocket. He couldn't find his ticket, so he reached in his trouser pockets. It wasn't there, so he looked in his briefcase but couldn't find it. Then he looked in the seat beside him. He still couldn't find it.  The conductor said, 'Dr. Einstein, I know who you are.  We all know who you are. I'm sure you bought a ticket. Don't worry about it.'  Einstein nodded appreciatively. The conductor continued down the aisle punching tickets. As he was ready to move to the next car, he turned around and saw the great physicist down on his hands and knees looking under his seat for his ticket.  The conductor rushed back and said, 'Dr. Einstein, Dr. Einstein, don't worry, I know who you are No problem. You don't need a ticket.  I'm sure you bought one.'  Einstein looked at him and said, 'Young man, I too, know who I am. What I don't know is where I'm going.'"

Now, my issue is where will God be leading me knowing of my infirmities and will I be able to faithfully fulfill what He needs of me?  I guess there are always times we really want to know where we are going.  I am trusting that the train that I’m on (guided by God) will take me where I need to be, and that I will be able to do what is asked of me.
Post a Comment