Wednesday, July 29, 2015

“When you drop a pebble into a pond, ripples spread out, changing all the water in the pool. The pond is never the same again.” ― Neal Shusterman

Some days, there are very few readers of my blog according to the numbers reported on the blog site.  However, that does not take into consideration what day of the week it is, whether or not it is a holiday, or what else is happening in the news.  I know (because people email me and tell me) that many people may miss two or three in a row and then read five in one day, so the number reported is never really accurate.  Of course, the big thing is that the numbers don’t really matter at all.  What matters is whether or not someone was touched, lifted, informed, inspired, or able to see things in a new perspective.  The blog is neither successful nor a failure depending on its numbers.  If you are in trouble in the surf, it doesn’t matter how many people were on the beach as long as there was one who jumped in the water and came to your rescue as you were drowning.  What matters is how you were affected or moved or changed, not how many others were with you.  When I was being interrogated in order to decide whether or not I should be ordained as a United Methodist minister, I was asked what should be done about the declining number of United Methodists in the country and in our state.  I replied that we should stop counting because the numbers didn’t really matter, what mattered was if we were being the kind of church that Christ called us to be—nothing more.  Still, I can’t help but be a tiny bit down on days when the numbers are down.  That happened the other day but then this came into my email inbox and reminded me once more that it’s not about the numbers.
     “I just want to let you know that your blog has been such a blessing to my husband and to me as well as my mom this past year.   We retired just in time for my mom to become critically ill and to spend the majority of the year taking care of her.  For many weeks, your blog served as our spiritual food and gave us something to share with Mom.  I can't thank you enough for that.”
      Okay, I get it.  My job is to throw the pebble in the pond every day (see quote above) and not to worry about the ripples.  I am to leave that to God.  Okay, I get it, I really do.  Do you?  It’s not about money, possessions, titles, awards, trophies, or any of the other things society tries to tell you are important.  It’s about that simple prayer that Elie Wiesel told me he prays every night, “So God, how’d I do today?  Did I make you proud or were you ashamed?”  Amen.
Post a Comment