Thursday, October 9, 2014

“Don't count the days, make the days count.” ― Muhammad Ali

Shaban is driving John and Karen to Mwanza (see picture at the right) today because Karen lost a crown off a tooth and the best dentist is at a mission clinic there.  It will also give John a chance to shop at a good food store which gives him ideas on great meals which Karen and I just love.  The bishops are all traveling about an hour and a half from here to visit St. Penny’s preschool at the church at Karikakari and to see the new church at nearby Muranda.  The pastor, Festo, was recently elected a bishop which is just and right since he has started and continues to supervise seven churches in his area.  I was there for the first service of one of them at Kabainja and baptized 82 people on that first Sunday.  They will be traveling by dolla-dolla which is a nine-passenger mini-van that carries up to 17 Tanzanians at any one time.  I rented one for the day for them.  There is a saying here that there is never a full dolla-dolla, always room for one more.  I get to stay here and oversee the care of the sweet potatoes and to meet with the bishops when they return.  The power just went out, so I don’t know if I will be able to post this or not.  Just one of the joys of living in a developing country.  I love the quote above because I need to be reminded from time to time that this day is all I’ve got.  I can’t redo yesterday and tomorrow isn’t  here—it’s today I have to deal with and to make it the best that I can for others.  If you can improve the quality of someone else’s day, you have achieved the highest of the arts.  Henry David Thoreau said that, and I believe  it.  See if you can make someone else’s day brighter today.  If you can, your own day will filled with light.

Post a Comment