Sunday, May 25, 2014

“My old man says when it's time to be counted, the important thing is to be man enough to stand up.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

The blog today is dedicated to some very common men that were members of my family.  My father, now deceased, was Captain Frank Wiggins, stationed at Fort Warren, Wyoming, outside of Cheyenne.  Fort Warren doesn’t exist anymore and my father died in 2003, but on the day of my birth (at Fort Warren) my father was on a troop train taking him to service in China where he was part of the effort to assist the Chinese nationalists against the Communists.  My father never graduated from high school, but was a smart man, went to OCS and made Captain fairly quickly.  He enlisted in 1943 after working to sell war bonds sometimes with Bob Hope and Bing Crosby.  He left a wife, one son, and one on the way when he shipped out.  This is also dedicated to my uncle Marion Wiggins who was a Chief Petty Officer in the Navy and served in the Pacific.  It is also dedicated to my wife’s uncle Olin Lusby who received a battlefield commission to First Lieutenant while fighting in Italy.  Both of these men are also deceased and left families behind to fight in World War II.  All three were lucky enough to come home and still have living family members who remember them fondly for they were good men.  None of them rose to great prominence in the eyes of our society, but they were fine men and good role models for their families and communities which is probably more important.  We still have Uncle Olin’s dog tags hanging in our house here in Africa.  We have pictures, too, but more importantly when our country needed them the most, when it was time to be counted, they stood up.  They were part of what Tom Brokaw called “The Greatest Generation” and I can find no argument with that.  My wife, son, and I are involved in a war here, too.  A war for the souls of those who live in darkness and need to live in the light.  Thanks to men like my father, my uncle, and Karen’s uncle, we were able to grow up in the light and to be able to make the decision to come here, knowing that we are still supported by the country for which they fought and whose passports we carry.  Thank you seems so inadequate, but it’s all we’ve got, so thanks Dad, Uncle Marion, and Uncle Olin for standing up when the time came.
Post a Comment