Tuesday, May 6, 2014

“Memory was a curse, yes, he thought, but it was also the greatest gift. Because if you lost memory you lost everything.” ― Anne Rice

My son, John, showed me how to quickly download YouTube music videos into Mp3 music that I can add to my iTunes.  As a result, I have been spending hours going back into my past and downloading songs from Janis Ian, The Carpenters, Joe Cocker, The Mamas and The Papas, Anne Murray, Otis Reading, Marianne Faithful, Bob Dylan, Procol Harum, the Moody Blues, and so many others that take me back to our (yes, our—Mama Africa was one cool hippie chick) younger, wilder, and much more active days.  It’s amazing how just one song can flood your mind with memories, smells, and feelings.  In those days we didn’t think we’d live to be 35 and now look at us.  I raced motorcycles for seven years in California and destroyed almost every bone in both feet and man am I paying for that now.  Karen and I dressed up in our Western kit and went to the Lone Star Club in Los Angeles to hear Juice Newton introduce “Angel of the Morning.”  We heard Tanya Tucker live at the Palomino Club out in the valley.  We went to the Hollywood bowl for a concert by Pete Seeger and Arlo Guthrie.  On a hot August night, we were at the Greek Theatre in L.A. to hear Neil Diamond record live “Hot August Night.”  It’s kinda funny that I can remember those days much more clearly than last week.  Listening to Anne Murray sing “Can I Have This Dance” which was “our” song just makes me miss my honey all the more.  Happily, we can talk to each other day by email and texting and she sends me pictures and videos.  She is having a great time and she greatly deserves it.  The teachers she taught with for her last thirteen years of teaching at George Elementary in Springdale are having a big party for her today.  There will be lots of hugging and crying and promises to come to Africa that will never happen, but that doesn’t matter.  She will be seeing the people who made up her life and many who were heavily influenced by her and her teaching methods.  I am happy for her.  I’m happy here, too, cause John made his special chili last night.  It’s great cause you get to taste it for at least a day after you eat it.  God bless, ya’ll.
Post a Comment