Saturday, April 19, 2014

“The use of solar energy offers huge potential for natural resource and climate protection, and for the expansion of renewable energies on the road to a future-oriented energy supply.” — MARGARETA WOLF

The big news around here is that John figured out how to make my CPAP machine work off our solar cells (see picture at the right).  We already have two solar cells that provide power for security lights at night.  The power goes off at least once a night and until we can get the generator started, it used to be black as pitch, but now we have lights on and in every building that are solar powered and are on all the time at night no matter whether the power or the generator is on.  I have severe sleep apnea which means that I stop breathing about 200 times over a two hour span which is not good.  The CPAP machine blows regular air into me at about the rate of hanging your head out of a car window at fifty miles an hour.  I wear a full-face mask, so when the power goes out, I wake up because it feels like I am drowning.  In the past, we always got the generator going within a few minutes, but it was hard for me to go back to sleep.  What John hooked up is a battery and dc to ac connection so that my CPAP machine runs all night no matter what happens to the power.  This means better sleep, more rest, and a happier me for other folks to be around.  I have now had two nights of good sleep—except of course for waking up at four am to try to post my blog while everyone else is asleep and not using their phone internet connections which allows me to have fairly fast internet.  Once we get real internet back, I’ll be able to sleep like regular folks for the first time since we moved here nine years ago.  To say I’m happy would be an understatement.  Karen and John leave today for Arusha where Karen will board a plane tomorrow night to fly back to the States and on Monday, John will fly back to Mwanza where Shaban and I will pick him up.  Keep them both in your prayers as they travel and Karen especially for the next six weeks or so.  Thank you.  Juliana came in and prayed for them last night, and we are pretty sure God listens to her since God speaks Swahili according to her, and who are we to argue?
Post a Comment