Tuesday, February 25, 2014

“You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them.” — Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Lot’s of changes in my family back in the U.S.  Now that my mother and father have both gone to their well-deserved rewards, and after almost fifteen years of caring for them, my sister, Penny, is moving back to the Houston, Texas area.  (I have to add that Houston is in Texas because many of my readers are from other countries no matter that most Houstonians think the whole world knows where they are)  She will be near many of her friends as she lived in Houston for many years before moving to the small town in Arkansas where she cared for our parents.  She also has family in that area numbering close to a hundred or more.  You see, I had an aunt and uncle who had twelve children, who have each married (a couple more than once) and they had children and their children had children—you get the picture.  The main thing is that Penny grew up very close to two or three of those cousins and bond is still strong.  My aunt is still alive and very active, so Penny will never want for friends and family when she wants them.  She is moving farther away from my two brothers, but I suspect they will make the trip to Houston more than a few times a year.  My older brother was born in Houston and my other brother lives in Memphis which is not all that far and they are also related to all those cousins.  Penny has sold her house in Arkansas and bought one in Texas and will be moving in another couple of weeks.  My oldest son, Chris (in the picture at the right on one of his visits here), is moving to the international headquarters of Google in Mountain View, California (Silicon Valley) south of San Francisco.  He is moving in the next month.  His wife (also in the picture at the right) will be moving too, but not for almost a year.  In the meantime, they will be together at least one week a month because they travel so much back and forth anyway.  It’s a much better opportunity for Chris to use his talents on an even larger scale.  For us, it just means getting used to three time zones in the U.S. now.  I think we can handle it.  We are very happy for them as they are very happy about it, too.
Post a Comment