Saturday, January 11, 2014

“The measure of intelligence is the ability to change.” ― Albert Einstein

We have done a little changing while we wait.  They are putting new carpets in the rooms of the floor we were on and the carpet glue had a very strong odor that made Karen sick.  Thus, we are now two floors below in a new room with an even better view.  You can see the shallow end of the pool from our new room, so I can actually see Karen when she is working out in the pool in the morning and know when to go down to join her for our free breakfast (one of the perks).  While we were moving rooms, I broke my CPAP machine mask and thought I was up that creek that rhymes with “Brit” when one of the housekeepers told me to wait and she would get someone.  In the U.S., I would have had to get a new one and would have had to wait quite a while, but here a guy came and got it and came back in about thirty minutes with it fixed quite well.  Here, they don’t throw broken things away, they fix them and are very creative when it comes to repairs.  I was very happy.  Today, while I stayed in the room and watched a movie about the American football player, Ernie Davis (first African-American to win the Heisman Trophy), Karen went to a mall with Frank and bought sheets for John’s room and found some underwear for him as well.  It wasn’t Star Wars as he requested, but you can only do so much.  She also bought some more things for her teaching seminar she is doing later this month for all the teachers of the preschools we have helped start.  Then, she and Frank went for an all seafood lunch which they both really enjoyed.  I don’t eat things that live in water, but I don’t dislike those who do.  Monday or Tuesday, we should get word about my passport, so we are anxiously awaiting that email from the embassy.  As nice as this is, we are both homesick and anxious to get back to Bunda.  As Dorothy said three times in “The Wizard of Oz”, there’s no place like home.
Post a Comment