Monday, January 6, 2014

“...sitting and waiting is one of the most miserable occupations known to man - not that it usually is known to men; women do it much more often.” ― Diana Gabaldon

Now—we wait.  I have changed our airline tickets since the Embassy people were not confident about the turn-around time for my passport.  That took about an hour and a half this morning.  We are still waiting for the DHL package that arrived on December 19th but still hasn’t made it to our hotel yet.  The manager of the hotel (after a visit from my wife—she can be very motivating) has taken it upon himself as his personal quest to get that package here.  Maybe today, maybe tomorrow, maybe never.  Here, we never know.  We just wait.  Bishop Byamungu is leaving tomorrow for a week or so in Arusha, so he and I will not be doing anything together as we had originally planned.  That leaves Karen and I here in the hotel, reading, resting, nibbling off of free food when it’s available, watching the two channels in English on the television, and talking to each other.  We can’t really afford to do anything else even though Zanzibar is just a boat ride away.  We have gotten to know the staff very well.  There is a woman who does foot massage that I would like to have marry my son, so she could rub my feet every day.  I have even mentioned that to her, but she is already married, so that might be a hinderance.  Karen rather likes this lifestyle even if it is just for another ten days or so, but I am getting bored.  Everything here is very expensive and it is very hot and there are too many people and too many cars and too much crime and . . . you get the picture.  We do have internet and we do have books on our respective iPads, so don’t even begin to feel sorry for us.  I am glad I got to preach yesterday.  That makes all the rest of it worthwhile somehow.  Now, we wait for the email from the embassy that says my new passport is ready to be picked up.  Anytime from this Friday to the next Friday.   Sigh . . . 
Post a Comment