Sunday, January 5, 2014

“It matters to God what is preached. And it matters to Him how it is preached. No man is free to preach whatever and however he so chooses.” ― Steven J. Lawson

The church service today was the usual four hours with the only difference between the Bunda area and here the extreme heat with high humidity.  The church is under construction and will be three stories high when finished.  We had church on the mostly completed second floor but without windows or walls.  The picture on the right is of me preaching in Swahili (clicking on the picture takes you to pictures of Karen and more pictures of the church and choirs) with Bishop Byamungu there to back me up.  I did need him on two or three points but mostly my Swahili was good enough.  The bishop’s wife said it kept the sermon clear, concise, to the point, and well understood by everyone which is not a bad thing.  We had communion which was good since we don’t get it very often.  The length of the service began to get to Karen even though she was enjoying every minute of it.  After it was over, I found her almost passed out on the couch in the bishop’s office.  I think she had a mini-heat stroke.  We got her back to the air-conditioned hotel and she is resting now and feeling better, so I hope that’s all it was.  The church is in a poor section of town as you can see by the roofs of the buildings around us if you go to the picture section by clicking on the one at the right.  They don’t have building campaigns and they don’t borrow money.  When they have enough saved they do whatever construction they can afford and then start to save again.  It is a long process, but the church is never in debt and the people are never pressured to give to a long-running capital campaign.  They are in no hurry and are absolutely convinced that they will one day finish the church.  I really like that about these people.  They have faith in themselves and in God.  Not a bad combination.  I preached on the Great Commission and on each individual’s part in it.  It was well received.  Like all sermons, I will never know if I was of much use to God or not, but that is just the way things are.  My job is to plant the seeds, not to watch them grow or harvest them, and I am happy with that task.
Post a Comment