Thursday, January 23, 2014

“It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am here at Arusha with Pete (see picture at the right).  The power has been off all day and just now came back on, so the blog is late today but this is Africa.  It feels really good just to sit and talk with a man who is my age, has my passion for African children, has the same old man problems that I do (we don’t talk to anyone else about them, just each other), and shares my propensity to want to solve all the world’s problems in one afternoon.  I stopped and got lollipops for all the orphans (Leaders of Tomorrow), Pete doesn’t use the word “orphans” around here because they are part of his family.  The kids all remembered me and wanted to be sure and touch me and thank me for their sweets.  Pete knows a man here who has some great ideas on solar power and we both agreed that we needed to do more at each of our places.  He is going to send a man from here over to Bunda to stay with us for a couple of weeks, so he can learn how to make, sell, and install biosand water filters.  Pete has a mold that we gave him a few years ago but has renewed his interest and excitement about that project.  He also had a surprise for me.  He is 72 now and has just started teaching adults how to read in Swahili.  I shared some teaching tips with him and he has given me some literary classics that a millionaire in Dar Es Salaam has had translated into Swahili.  Who knows where that may end up.  We will share a good meal this evening, talk for a few more hours, and then I will head to bed so I can leave at 7:00 A.M. tomorrow to go back to the airport to catch my flight to Mwanza.  It has been great to be here and it will be great to be back home.  As I am writing this, I can hear the laughter and excitement coming from the kids playing.  They all know how lucky they are to have Pete as their Babu (grandfather).
Post a Comment