Thursday, January 9, 2014

“A lot of people like snow. I find it to be an unnecessary freezing of water.” ― Carl Reiner

As you can see from the picture at the right, Karen didn’t take long to make use of the swimsuits Brenda sent us.  She usually has the pool to herself and remembers her water aerobic routine and can do it twice a day.  I can sit with her in the morning because it hasn’t gotten too hot yet.  In the afternoon, she swims alone, but I am nearby in the air-conditioned hotel.  We are going back to that kitschy southwestern restaurant tonight because the food is good and cheaper than at the hotel.  We are watching our money as we wait for the email from the embassy saying my passport is ready.  On Saturday, our driver, Frank, wants to take us around Dar Es Salaam and show us the sights.  He says the traffic isn’t nearly as bad on the weekends, but we will see.  I went to use the ATM at the bank and there was no parking in front of the bank and Frank wouldn’t let me out while he circled the block.  Since it took us forty-five minutes in that traffic just to circle the block, I was glad I took Frank’s advice and stayed in the car.  Otherwise, I would have been standing in the heat, just begging to be robbed for about forty minutes.  You do have to be careful here, the embassy issues warnings from time to time and always has a list of do's and don'ts while visiting Dar Es Salaam.  We have never had any trouble, but we also pay attention to the warnings and only use taxis from the hotel.  My darling wife is back from her swim and is getting ready to get her hair done at the salon downstairs.  Oh, the hard life of waiting in a nice hotel.  We are praying for you in the cold and snow.  They even have a word for “snow” in Swahili “theluji” although I have never heard a single person utter it.
Post a Comment