Monday, December 30, 2013

“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us, or we find it not.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

There will be no blog tomorrow because we are traveling (see above quote) and because Karen will be with me, I carry the beautiful with me.  We will be in Dar Es Salaam for two weeks while I get my passport renewed.  Because we now have to wait for the new passport to travel to the U.S. and back (five to seven business days, according to the U.S. Embassy), I have my appointment (one of only three available in January and my passport expires in February) on January 3rd, so we will have to wait till the 13th or 14th to get it back.  It used to be a one-day turnaround but that was before they started putting computer chips in the passport itself.  This makes staying in a hotel in Dar Es Salaam for two weeks a pretty expensive proposition.  Thankfully, we received enough money from my mother’s estate to pay for all this silliness.  I hate spending this much money on something so plebeian, but I have no choice if I am to remain here and if I ever want to go back to the U.S., and we hope to do that next May or June.  As it is, it will be the first real break we have had since my mother paid for a five-day visit to Dar Es Salaam for my birthday back in November of 2005.  Karen will be able to swim (it is very hot there) and I will take the time to read and to visit with Bishop Byamungu, see his new projects, and probably preach in his church one of the Sundays I will be there.  John has projects to do and he prefers to do them with Karen and I absent, so he is not unhappy that we are going—not to mention being able to play video games at all times of the day and night with the volume loud enough to bother the neighbors.  I was very saddened to hear of the accident to Michael Shumacher, the Formula One driver who recently retired.  I didn’t know him personally, but as a big fan of F1, I have followed his career for many years and wish his family God’s blessings and comfort.
   If the hotel has wifi, there will be blogs even if they are boring ones.
Post a Comment