Thursday, November 21, 2013

“There is nothing that lights up the faces of African children like having new shoes on their feet." ~ Me 

Today was quite a day.  It was "new shoes" day for the orphans and poor kids attending St. Caryn's preschool.  My cousin, Charles, and his wife, Adrienne, took it upon themselves to buy new shoes for every child in the school.  It took almost two months for them to get here, but boy, did they ever brighten the lives of every one of those kids.  They bought them new socks to go with the new shoes.  The teachers washed the kids' feet before sending them over to get their shoes.  We had them laid out on some tables and they got to pick (pending sizes matching) then we helped them put them on.  We had them come three at a time until every child had on new socks and new shoes.  To say they were thrilled would be an understatement.  Some of them were stunned because no one had ever done anything like that for them.  Karen and I spent the morning assisting and taking pictures.  I hadn't planned to actually help them put on their socks and shoes, but once I started, I couldn't stop.  It was such a rush.  If you click on the picture at the right, it will take you to seven more photos with captions.  More kids, shoes laid out on the table, me doing some good work for a change, you know the kind of stuff.  I feel kinda sorry for anyone who wasn't me today.  It was that much of wonderful things.  The smiles on their faces, pulling the socks up over freshly washed feet, getting a hug I had to bend down for, those kinds of things made for pure joy.  Wish you were here. 
Post a Comment