Saturday, November 16, 2013

“How old am I? Compared to a Mayfly, I am ancient, but compared to a mountain, I have yet to be born.” ― Dalai Lama

I guess I've been comparing myself to a Mayfly.  Sixty-nine is not very old in the United States where so many live into their late eighties and nineties, but here, where the lifespan is in the mid-forties, I am old indeed.  The experience with the elephant I wrote about yesterday took place over ten years ago, but the way I wrote it, it sounded like we were out in our new car last week.  It's funny how vivid some memories are from decades past and yet I can't remember what my wife asked me to do three days ago.  Now, I know that some of you are thinking that all men have selective memories when it comes to things their wives want them to do--and you are right!  Still, I do forget a lot these days.  In some ways, it's a plus.  We can watch DVD's of television series over and over again because by the time we get to the end, we have forgotten how the ones in the beginning ended.  On DVD, we have the entire runs of "Frasier", "Mash", "Cheers", "Seinfield", and lots of British comedies and mysteries.  We have "Poirot", "Morse", "As Time Goes By", "Vicar of Dibley", and others.  Every night between seven and ten, we watch shows together.  Some we like to watch over and over and some get just one viewing.  It also helps us to remember what day it is if we only watch "Midsomer Murders" on Sunday then the next day must be Monday.  Laugh if you want, but the one thing about aging is that there is no one immune to it.  As Karen and I both are losing our hearing, we have some very interesting conversations.  What she says is not what I hear, and that also, leads to me not remembering some important things.  Happily, John can hear very well and remembers where we have forgotten.  Another very good thing about my son, John, is that he is a very good cook.  When he cooks, Juliana watches him like a hawk and after two or three times, she can cook the same thing the same way.  We are blessed in so many ways, and as much as I complain about it, aging is a blessing from God as well.  We live in a society here where the elderly are respected and admired.  We are where we are supposed to be.
Post a Comment