Wednesday, November 20, 2013

“Alone of all the races on earth, Australians seem to be free from the 'Grass is Greener on the other side of the fence' syndrome, and roundly proclaim that Australia is, in fact, the other side of that fence." ~ Douglas Adams

Last month, we had a group of about eight Australians staying with us.  They were part of a mission team that had come to do some construction work here in Bunda, about twenty of them.  They were a wonderful group and to this day, I have yet to meet an Australian that I would not be proud to have as a part of my family.  On my birthday last week, one of the the Australian missionaries who live near us, Samantha Archer, came over with her five children to bring me a birthday cake that she had baked for the occasion.  She also gave me a present--a gift certificate to the Anglican cafe in Musoma that supports some very beneficial women's projects.  When I was very sick some years earlier, Samantha's father, Trevor, was here visiting her and his grandchildren, and he would take the time to come over almost every day to visit with me and keep my spirits up.  I was also proud to have been in the congregation the day they ordained Samantha's husband, Matt, as an Anglican priest.  Through watching the tv show (Border Security) that spotlights Australian customs and immigration, we thought that Australians were a pretty hard bunch, but our personal experience contradicts this.  So, after the group that stayed with us had left, we discovered that they had left some little gifts scattered around our grounds.  You can see one in the picture at left.  It is a little Koala bear about one and a half inches tall clinging to one of our plants.  So far, we have found eight of the little blighters and with each discovery, we smile once again.  Even though the group has gone (some say they are coming back next year and have contributed through Paypal for our mission), we keep finding these little reminders who are wearing little vests that say "I love (picture of a heart) Australia."   What a wonderful way to remind us of their love and caring.
Post a Comment