Saturday, October 26, 2013

“When you rest, realize it is not simply ceasing from activity…it is a gift from God.” ― Dillon Burroughs

Some days, it is important to do nothing.  To make no heavy decisions, to not engage in heated dialogue, to abstain from confronting the world's ills, to just sit and rest.  Today was a day like that for me.  I had things I could have been doing, but I felt just like that old lion in the picture on the right.  I was tired.  I needed a day--and I took it.  Maya Angelou understands.  She writes, 

“Every person needs to take one day away.  A day in which one consciously separates the past from the future.  Jobs, family, employers, and friends can exist one day without any one of us, and if our egos permit us to confess, they could exist eternally in our absence.  Each person deserves a day away in which no problems are confronted, no solutions searched for.  Each of us needs to withdraw from the cares which will not withdraw from us.”  

I know good advice when I hear it.  Today, I rested, we rested.  It was good.

Post a Comment