Thursday, October 31, 2013

“Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.” ― Me

Apparently, I had what is called the "two-day bug" and little else is known.  What I do know is that if you live here, you get sick from time to time.  If something wasn't washed properly, or prepared properly, or you forgot to wash your hands, then bad things tend to happen to your digestive tract.  Happily, as my grandmother used to always tell us, "No storm lasts forever."  I was in Musoma, arranging for the transfer of title from our missionary friends at the Bible translators to us when I got sick.  I hate getting sick away from home, but we had at least done all the paperwork, so Shaban got me home in our new(er) car, and I was sick for the next two days.  Today, I am in Mwanza where we are getting new tires for our new to us 1995 Toyota Land Cruiser.  We have gone from a twenty-year-old car to an eighteen-year-old car, but it has 100,000 miles less than the other, it is a six cylinder instead of a four, and it has much more interior room and is considered such a good car for Tanzania that it even has a Swahili name--shangigi.  Shangigi means a car that can pretty much do everything and go anywhere.  It is the kind of car most of the government officials drive although theirs are much newer.  Still, it will allow us to go to many churches we couldn't reach in the other car.  The previous owners were happy that the car would stay in mission service.  The car we had was also from a former missionary and will go to a local doctor so that he can take medical service to the villages.  Everybody wins.  The picture at the right is of the previous owners that they took the morning the car was transferred.  They are going back to the U.S. in December.  By the way, the U.S. is where the Boston Red Sox won the World Series.  We used to live in Boston and loved going to the games at Fenway Park.  Shaban and I are staying the night here in Mwanza so that we can get everything done to the car (replaced tail light, fan belt, new windshield wipers, etc.) that we can only do here in the big city.  I'm not yet a 100% healthy, but sometimes you have to do what you need to do regardless of how you feel.  The internet here at the hotel (not one of the new ones) is very slow, so I hope to get this done today. 
Post a Comment