Sunday, October 13, 2013

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” -- The Gospel of John

        I am sitting here in my little office on a quiet Sunday afternoon.  Yesterday, Bishop Byamungu called to ask me to preach at his church in Dar Es Salaam when I travel there to renew my U.S. Passport in December.  I have an appointment at the U.S. Embassy on December 16, so I am flying in on Saturday, December 14th, and now, on my schedule, is preaching in Swahili at one of the biggest Methodist churches in Tanzania.  My sermon will basically be built around the following quote: 
       "We are children, perhaps, at the very moment when we know that it is as children that God loves us - not because we have deserved his love and not in spite of our undeserving; not because we try and not because we recognize the futility of our trying; but simply because he has chosen to love us. We are children because he is our father; and all of our efforts, fruitful and fruitless, to do good, to speak truth, to understand, are the efforts of children who, for all their precocity, are children still in that before we loved him, he loved us, as children, through Jesus Christ our lord.” ― Frederick Buechner
         I always preach primarily to myself, and this is a message I need to hear often.  With luck, study, and a lot of prayer, they will understand this in the Swahili I present to them.  Keep me in your prayers that day.
Post a Comment