Monday, September 16, 2013

“Love is not patronizing and charity isn't about pity, it is about love. Charity and love are the same -- with charity you give love, so don't just give money but reach out your hand instead.” ― Mother Teresa

I frequently feel that we have done so little here and the merger of the two Methodist church groups is a case in point.  It was Bishop Byamungu who sent the emails and initiated the meeting.  It was Bishop Monto and General Secretary Nyansa who did most of the work at the first meeting.  At the Synod, I preached at the opening evening service when only about a fourth of the people had even arrived.  The meetings were all in Swahili, so most of the time I didn't even understand what was being voted upon until I was told later.  I did not feel that I did very much and was conveying that thought to Bishop Monto who disagreed.  He said if I hadn't paid the fares for the first meeting, no one could have gone to Arusha.  He said if I hadn't been in agreement, we would not have had all the bishops of one mind.  He reminded me that if I hadn't paid the travel costs and registration fees, we would not have had a single participant at the Synod.  If I hadn't covered the costs of food and board for the eleven who were waiting to start school, they would have had to come home and Methodist theology would still be just an idea.  My presence on the stage at the Consecration of the Bishops showed everyone that this was an international event that was endorsed by Methodist missionaries as well.  Even though all I did was provide money (that was mostly provided by a cousin from Texas), if I hadn't done that, none of this would have happened.  I still don't feel like I can claim I was a real part of the event, yet I guess even the greatest singer in concert would be a failure if the sound or lights failed.  Well, I can be sound and light for others.  If that is what God is asking of me, then that is what I will be doing--along with the schools, biosand filters, sanitation and hygiene workshops, preaching, teaching, and baptizing.  It is the small things that allow the big things to happen.  Remember Mary's words, "Let it be with me according to Thy word."  A simple thing that changed the world forever. 

Post a Comment