Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success. -- Henry Ford

The Tanzanian Methodist Synod (annual conference for American Methodists) is making history.  We are uniting the two largest Methodist church groups in Tanzania (the Tanzanian Methodist Church and the Methodist Church in Tanzania) with no fighting, no fussing, no political machinations, just agreement and good will all around.  The opening services last night were a joy in which to participate with pastors and evangelists from all over Tanzania (which is bigger that Texas) singing, praising God, and becoming brothers and sisters of Christ with people they had just met.  I preached completely in Swahili, surprising all of them and myself as well.  The subject was just if Christ is to be seen in this world, He must be seen in the actions of those who follow Him and proclaim His word.  I brought my camera and have been taking pictures but forgot to bring the thing that will let me put them on my computer, so next week, I will post them  to a site so you can see all of them.  There is no internet here, so I am doing this on my phone and I have to unplug the refrigerator to get power, but it works.  The business meeting this morning was historic in that all voted unanimously to accept each others pastors, evangelists, Wesley polity, and to hold all assets in common.  We agreed on the areas we want to emphasize in our work together.  We ordained one minister and tomorrow will consecrate two new bishops.  I have never attended a Methodist meeting this large without hearing a single negative voice.  It is impossible not to believe that this is the work of God.  I am proud to be a small part of it.

Post a Comment