Saturday, August 3, 2013

“My father said this to me: "Israelmore, if you don't make any impact on earth, you will die before you die. But if you impress hearts with what you do, you still live even after you are gone” ― Israelmore Ayivor

I heard a man say today that you can either make money or make a difference.  That's a little simplistic, but true nonetheless.  I have known how seductive making money can be and when I had so much money that I could have made a huge difference, I didn't--I just spent it all on myself.  There are some who believe that the more money they make, the bigger difference they can make, but there is a huge risk involved in that belief because only one in a hundred or a thousand actually spend their money that way.   The famous Dallas Cowboy running back Emmit Smith lived on 15% of his income and gave the rest away to charity, but there are so very few like him.  There are housewives and bus drivers who give two or three nights a week to care for others--they make a difference.  There are those who only give an hour a week--but they make a difference.  The real question is, "do you want to make a difference?"  Do you want this world to be a better place because you were a part of it?  Do you want to be remembered because you were important--or significant?  There is no question about what Christ wants for you, is there?  Check out what he says about making money and what he says about making a difference.  He doesn't ask for huge things, just little things that truly make a difference, like giving one child one cup of water.  He asks that you learn to love and forgive and nothing makes a bigger difference than those two.  When I lived in the U.S., I used to ask the clerk at the drive-thru window at McDonald's how much the bill was for the car behind me.  If it wasn't much, or something I could easily afford, I paid the bill and told the clerk to tell the customer their meal was a gift from God.  Didn't do it as often as I should have, and I never did know if it made a difference to those receiving the free meal, but it made a difference to me--and that's the lesson here.  Do things that make a difference to others that also make a difference to you.  I didn't read the words, "Well done, my good and wealthy servant" in the Bible, but I did read, "Well done, my good and faithful servant."

Post a Comment