Friday, August 30, 2013

“Life is for service.” ― Fred Rogers

Sometimes, others say the things I feel much better than I every could.  Sometimes, I am smart enough to share them like the words following:

“……I looked at the pastor who had written many books and had his own TV show with a high degree of skepticism then said, “Don’t tell me about your God with your words and petty contributions. I don’t care that you have a dozen church members that will show up to move you out of your house or apartment. I don’t care about the brownies that you baked for the Bible class on Wednesday night. I don’t care that you live off of positive affirmations and contemporary Christian rock music. I don’t care about the hymns you can sing beautifully on Sunday or the high-tech way you deliver them. Show me about your God with your actions. Make a difference not only in the world, but also in the lives of others that deserve it and those that don’t. Dazzle me with the Christ-like love you profess to have by reaching out to people you hate.” This pastor of a megachurch just stood motionless with a dropped jaw. I added, “Who am I to question you, you ask? No one. I am simply the messenger, an old Christian, a student, a teacher, a philosopher, a searching soul and a daughter of God. I challenge you to make me see you clearly. What is it that you have learned here in this huge church and applied that has made the world a better place? What have you done to right the wrongs you have done to others? What are you doing in your life that would make me want to even follow you?” He excused himself from the room to take a cell phone call. However, he never came back. Sadly, it was the fourth church I visited that month without finding real Christian love, but not the last.  Finally in a small, store-front church, the pastor burned these words into my heart with love filling his eyes, 'Everybody is worth your time.You never know. You may have been the last hope that person needed to renew their faith in people or God.'  My life changed forever at that moment.” 
― Shannon L. Alder

Couldn't have said it better, or as eloquently.

Post a Comment