Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ― Benjamin Franklin

My wife and I have been teaching all our lives.  Both my brothers and sister were teachers.  All three of my sons have been teachers.  The best teaching is done when the students want to learn, are eager to learn, will sacrifice to learn.  All of our teaching has not been done under those circumstances, but here learning is sacred and teachers are revered above all others.  As Benjamin Franklin so succinctly says above, the best teaching is that that involves those who are learning.  We teach sanitation and hygiene workshops that way.  We teach English that way.  We teach computers that way.  We teach vocational skills that way.  We never lecture because we are not confident in our Swahili skills and because it's just not a good way to teach.  To see the excitement and joy when the students are able to accomplish that which they only dreamed about gives us happiness unbounded.  We teach under tarps in the hot African sun, we teach in abandoned cotton warehouses, we teach outdoors, and when we can, we teach in classrooms.  The only thing holding us back is supplies.  You can teach a woman to sew so that she can support her family, but if she has no machine, it is useless.  We need sewing machines.  They cost about $150 each, but they can feed a family for years.  If a church has two or three, they can support the church as well as the families who do the work.  These are treadle machines from China, but they are the kind that my wife, Karen, learned on, so we can teach them easily--if we have the machines.  You can contribute through the One Book Foundation, at 1910 Old Wire Road, Fayetteville, AR 72703, or you can contribute through PayPal.  If you want to use PayPal let us know and we will walk you through it--it's very easy.   If you want to change the world, teach the women a trade and educate them.  We are trying to do both.  Please help us.


Post a Comment