Friday, June 7, 2013

Quote of the Day:  “What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. These are but trifles, to be sure; but scattered along life's pathway, the good they do is inconceivable.” ― Joseph Addison

The writer of the above quote is an 18th century author I studied while working on my Ph.D.  I remembered this quote because it touched me when I first read it, and it still does today.  The people of Tanzania smile more as a group than any other I have been around.  They love to laugh, to slap hands, and to smile at each other and at life's troubles.  When you realize the hard life they lead, you would think they would be always bitter, but that is not the case.  From the children skipping to school to the oldest member of the church, they all smile--a lot.  It is also true that it is hard to be sad while smiling.  Try it--smile for at least fifteen seconds and see what that does to your day.  The more we smile at people, the more they smile back.  I always smile and wave to people we pass when I am in the car.  A visitor once asked why I did that.  Well, here, you never know when your car will break down and you will need help.  I would rather those I passed remember the friendly, smiling white face they saw as I drove by them.  Try smiling at those you don't know and you will improve the quality of their day.  What a simple gift to give.  Give it, and you will learn to love it.
Post a Comment