Sunday, June 2, 2013

Quote of the Day:  “A diplomat is a man who always remembers a woman's birthday but never remembers her age.” ― Robert Frost

I remembered my wife's birthday, but it was difficult not to remember her age because we have been together for almost 48 years (next Wednesday is our anniversary).  I gave her an iPad Mini that I brought back from the States with a pink cover that she just loved.  Of course, we also had to give her some African gifts, so I got her a purse made of buffalo and lizard made by a craftsman in Mwanza.  John got her a soapstone dish in the shape of a hippo with a soapstone heart resting upon it.  She was touched.  Juliana came in this afternoon singing, "Hongera, Bibi."  This means "congratulations grandmother" but is meant with much more respect than the same terms would carry in the U.S.  John is making her favorite omelette for dinner tonight, so she is very happy.  We also have a romantic comedy for us to watch after dinner which will be a good end to a good day.  Birthdays should be happy days, I think.
Post a Comment