Monday, May 6, 2013


Quote of the Day:   Without deep reflection one knows from daily life that one exists for other people. --  Albert Einstein 

It takes so little to brighten my day, the wonder is that I ever let my feelings get me down.  Today, I was walking around the mission looking at all that needs to be repaired or replaced, and it was getting me down.  Then, God put a little girl from the St. Caryn pre-school in my way.  She was about four or five years old and her name's Asali which is Swahili for "honey".  She smiled shyly and reached for my hand.  I gave it to her and she walked me up to Martha's Place (our assembly hall) and showed me her cup of ujii (porridge) that was just out of her reach up on a table.  I handed it to her, she smiled, said, "Yes" in very good English and began to drink it.  I walked away with a much lighter step, a smile on my face, and a much happier heart.  We worry so much about the big things we cannot do that we fail to see the little things that can mean so much that we most definitely can do.  The things that need to be repaired or replaced will all get done in time.  What was important was for me to remember that a little girl's smile was all that was really important today.  Asali might be very young, but she taught this old dog a new trick today.  Look to the little first, and the big will take care of itself.  I got the message--that I am sure was sent by God.  I will never be able to be convinced that God doesn't send "thank-you notes" to us when we are doing what we are supposed to be doing in His service.  Thank you, God, for a little orphan girl named Asali who was the sunshine in my gloomy day today.


Post a Comment