Sunday, May 19, 2013


Quote of the Day:   “No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” ― Charles Dickens

When I first started going to church in the '80s, I also started to intentionally do good deeds for others--something I had never done before.  I was so proud of myself when I did something nice for someone else (without expecting something in return) that I told everyone, even the checker at the grocery store.  Little by little, doing nice things for others became a part of who I was.  After several years, I began to get thank you notes and emails and truly could not remember what I had done to deserve a thank you note.  I also found that I enjoyed helping others; it made me feel good.  It didn't happen overnight, but eventually I became a different person--one who thought about others before myself.  When John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, was having a crisis of faith, he asked a friend how could he preach about faith when he, himself, didn't have any.  His friend told him to preach faith until he found faith and then to preach faith because he had it.  I know now what he meant.  I did good things for others without enjoying it until I began enjoying it and then did good things because I enjoyed it.  It actually works.  As the Nike ad says, "Just do it!"  They are referring to doing things for yourself, but the saying also works for loving and helping others.  It will change the kind of person you are.
Post a Comment