Thursday, May 30, 2013

Quote of the Day:  “I've enjoyed every age I've been, and each has had its own individual merit. Every laugh line, every scar, is a badge I wear to show I've been present, the inner rings of my personal tree trunk that I display proudly for all to see. Nowadays, I don't want a "perfect" face and body; I want to wear the life I've lived.” ― Pat Benatar

My wife and I are both aging, as is everybody else.  It is just that we are piling up the numbers of years and lines and scars (see above quote) in ever increasing numbers.  Karen will be 70 years old this coming Sunday and I will be 69 years old in November.  When we were hippies in Southern California in the early '70s, neither of us thought we would even by alive past 35.  Now, we are doubling that number.  Our health is certainly not the same as it was when we were in our twenties, but we soldier on nonetheless.  We will continue to work and serve God in response to our call as long as we are able.  Thanks to support from friends and family in the States, we do even more that we thought we could do here.  We cannot do all that we used to do, but we can still do some things and those things are just dad-gummed important.  To paraphrase an internationally acclaimed philosopher and theologian, Dr. Robert Neville, --life as a missionary is not always fun or enjoyable, but it is always important.  We know that now.  We watch the younger missionaries and envy their youth and strength, but we are still serving as best we can for a couple of OAPs (old age pensioners) and still can occasionally do things that will have lasting impact on the face of Christianity in East Africa and on the lives of mothers and children who face a harsh life here.  To be able to soften that harshness, even for just a bit, is enough to keep us going in the face of our own pain and physical constraints.  We will not be giving up (with a nod to Winston Churchill).  Life here is not judged by what you can no longer do--it is judged by what you continue to do.  Keep us in your prayers because that is what keeps us going. 
Post a Comment