Sunday, April 28, 2013


Quote of the Day:   You may be the only Bible that some people will ever read.  --  sign outside a church in New England

I really like the sign I saw that I quoted above.  The Bible exists in two forms: the Bible read and the Bible lived.  If we only had the Bible to read, I doubt that Christianity would ever have amounted to much.  It is because we can see the Bible "lived" in others that we know we, too, can do what Christ asked us to do in the words recorded in the Bible.  I, personally, have known many of these "living Bible" people, and they occupy a special place in my heart.  There was a couple in a church in Arkansas who went without air conditioning in their house so that they could give more to the local Hispanic mission.  I met another one of these who was a nun in a convent in Greece.  The Holy Spirit just seemed to shine out of her, so I asked if I could take her picture.  Through a translator (she spoke no English and I no Greek) she asked why I wanted her picture.  When I explained that it was because her holiness had affected me so intensely, she asked why then I wanted her image on a piece of paper.  Wouldn't it be better, she asked, to carry me in your heart?  So, that's where I carry her to this day, as we all carry those who have shown us how to be holy in this very, very secular world.   When it seems that Christ's words seem just too impossible to follow, I can always remember someone who followed them anyway, be it a teacher, a parent, a friend, or someone I just read about.  It is not enough to read the Bible; it must be lived.  Christ himself said, "Be ye doers of the Word, and not just hearers only." 

Post a Comment