Monday, April 15, 2013


Quote of the Day:  “The test of a preacher is that his congregation goes away saying, not ‘What a lovely sermon,’ but ‘I will do something!’” ~ Francis de Sales

I am tired but it is a "good" tired.  I preached at two services forgetting how much preaching takes out of me and how bad my feet hurt afterward.  Still, it was wonderful to be back in the church where it all started about thirty years ago and to see people who knew me back then.  There was an incredible handbell piece for the offertory that just blew me away--and everyone else for that matter.  My son, Keith, came to the first service and then went to his own church for the second one.  In the second service where I preached, there were people from every church I had pastored in Arkansas: from Gravette, from Winslow, and from Rogers.  Pastor Holifield had them stand up to be recognized and there were quite a few of them.  I saw many people I knew and could even put names to most of the faces.  Some of the people were friends who had come to Tanzania on more than one occasion.  After church, some of these friends, who had helped us found and operate our mission, took me out to lunch and we had a mini-board meeting of the One Book Foundation since all five were on the board.  We discussed our current mission needs, the money needed to address them, and how everyone was getting on.  Both of the men had had prostate problems like I had, so we talked about operations the way old people do.  We also caught each other up on family and friends.  It is unlikely that any of them will find their way back to Tanzania, but we couldn't operate without their love and support.  It was a very good feeling just to sit and talk with these friends who have shared so much in support of our mission.  Then I left and went to a birthday party for one of my granddaughters, but it had been postponed because the other granddaughter wasn't feeling well.  I am resting now with my feet up.  God's in His heaven and all's right with the world.

Post a Comment