Monday, April 8, 2013


Quote of the Day:  “Sometimes our light goes out, but is blown again into instant flame by an encounter with another human being.” ― Albert Schweitzer

I love talking to taxi drivers.  It may bother or shock my family, but these are people, too, with families and ambitions and dreams.  I have talked about the game of cricket with a driver from Pakistan, family with a driver from Haiti, and religion and its call for peace with a driver from Turkey.  I have yet to have a taxi driver who was born in the U.S. but that just makes for more interesting conversations.  How much we lose and fail to learn by not speaking to strangers.  I will talk to just about anybody.  When my kids were small, they would stay in the car when we went to the store because they complained that I talked to everybody.  How else to learn of their joys, sorrows, and points of connection with you?  Try speaking to the checker at the grocery store, or the sales person at the mall as if they were real people and not just extensions of their jobs.  You never can tell when you will meet an angel unaware.  If you have joy, you must share joy.  If you have love, you must share love.  If you share these things, when you have pain, others will be there with comfort for you.  Come out into the world and give your love to it and experience its love for you.

Post a Comment