Wednesday, April 3, 2013


Quote of the Day:  “No matter how busy you are, you must take time to make the other person feel important.”  --  Mary Kay Ash

I found it difficult, but not impossible, to follow the advice in the above quote yesterday.  There was no post yesterday because when I finally got back to the hotel, I slipped my shoes off while sitting on the bed--and woke up there just now, still dressed about six hours later.  Yesterday morning, I found a great little breakfast cafe like I went to when I was a student at BU.  Then, right across from the School of Theology, I found a barber shop that would wash and braid my hair.  On my way to the school, I stopped in a coffee shop with free wifi and had chai (not like Tanzania's, but chai nevertheless).  Then came meeting several people, a meeting with the alumni relations folks, followed by sitting in on a class in Constructive Theology followed by lunch with a former professor who was also the dean while I was a student.  He is an internationally famous philosopher who has written many, many books.  We had a great lunch and reviewed old times and new challenges as we are both about the same age.  He was and is a great man.  This was followed by a meeting with the Contextual Education people to see if we can work out an internship at our mission for five School of Theology students.  If it works, we can expect three professors to come first this summer and then the students to follow next summer.  It looks very promising.  That was followed by a meeting with the Bishop in Residence and then a meeting with the professor who invited me here and is the Director of the Global Center for Christianity and Mission.  We talked for hours and then went to dinner together in Cambridge.  Her husband is from Zimbabwe and spends six months a year there (he is there now), a wonderful and inspiring man.  When I got back to the hotel I felt like a horse that had been rode hard and put away wet.  Tanzanians don't do this much in a single day.  I fell asleep and didn't post--sorry.  How do you Americans do this?

Post a Comment