Monday, April 22, 2013


Quote of the Day:  “I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.” 
― Douglas Adams

For the first day since March 30th, I am not looking at a single deadline.  After several weeks of travel by car, plane, and train, I am not going anywhere for the foreseeable future.  It feels good.  I loved my trip, but it was hard on these old bones.  Traveling with a broken tailbone and after recent prostate surgery is not recommended, but as God called me here, He also called me back to the U.S.  His call is not one to be ignored and I didn't.  My days in Boston were few but packed with meetings, lectures, interviews, lunches, dinners, and classes.  I hope I was able to repay the trust put in me by Dr. Robert who invited me and paid for the trip.  I enjoyed being surrounded by graduate students who all felt called to mission and wanted to know all I could tell them.  I loved being able to spend time with my son, Chris, and his wife, Brenda, in Manhattan.  It was also very nice to spend time with my sister, Penny, and my brother, Rob, and my brother, Joe, and his wife, Mary Jane.  Sadly, we all gathered for a final family photo with my 98-yr-old mother, but even that was okay.  Then, I got to spend time with my three grandchildren and my son, Keith, and his wife, Adriel.  I was able to preach at two services at the 4,000 member church I attended in the '80s and from which I went into the ministry.  Many people from the other churches I had pastored came to hear me and stood in recognition of my work.  There was a reunion with seven people who have been here to our mission and a sort of mini-meeting of the board of The One Book Foundation where we talked about the future of our mission.  It was good.  It was painful.  It was sad.  It was necessary.  It was a joy.  It is past.  Now, I look to the future to which God calls me and hope that I can respond with the same unquestioning trust that got me here in the first place.  Do keep us in your prayers as we pray for you.

Post a Comment