Tuesday, April 9, 2013


Quote of the Day:  “Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can, there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did.” ― Sarah Caldwell

My son asked me what I wanted to do in New York City.  I told him that I had always wanted to visit the Statue of Liberty.  We then found out that it was closed because of damage from hurricane Sandy and would not reopen until July 4th.  So, I just assumed I would not be seeing the Statue of Liberty up close on this trip.  Then yesterday afternoon we got in a taxi and Chris told the driver to go to Pier Six.  There, as a surprise to me, we got in a helicopter and flew out to the Statue of Liberty and got to see it up close and personal.  Not only that, we also saw Yankee Stadium, the almost completed Freedom Tower, and almost all of Manhattan and nearby New Jersey.  It was the ride of a lifetime for me.  I was a little scared because helicopters do not fly like planes do, and the sudden ups and downs were a little off-putting, but we made it back.  It was quite a father-son thing when I thought those were all over.  Never too old to learn, eh?

Post a Comment