Thursday, February 7, 2013


Quote of the Day:  I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.  -- Helen Keller 

Today was a rather typical day.  First thing, I was told I needed to pay two months rent for the Bunda Methodist pastor.  This was not a surprise as I agreed to pay the rent in return for getting a good pastor and the rent is only $30 a month.  Then, Pastor Festo came by because his mother had died and he needed money for funeral expenses including the coffin.  This will be the 63rd coffin I have paid for since we've been here but again coffins sell for $20 for a child and $40 for an adult--not like in the States.  Of course, I couldn't pay for all he needed but was able to help.  I always help everyone who asks even if it is only bus fare back to their home (more about this in the upcoming Sunday blog).  Then, our female pastor in Mwanza came by needing money for school fees for her daughter, again a small amount but more than the pastor could pay.  Every day I have to make decisions about how to give away funds.  It's like triage in an emergency room, I have to decide who needs it the most and what the possible impact might be.  I ask for God's guidance every time and so far am happy with all the decisions.  I know I can be wrong, and am wrong many times a day, but try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.  The only way to eliminate all mistakes is to never act, but I will not fail by sitting idly by and waiting for others to help.  Helen Keller wrote that while she could not do everything, she would never fail to do the one thing she could do.  Amen.


Post a Comment