Saturday, January 5, 2013


Quote of the Day:   “We do nothing on our own or in a vacuum.” -- Rev. Charles Wiggins

I have been writing this blog now every day for almost four years, over 1,386 blog posts with about that many pictures posted along with them.  I know I missed a few times because I was ill or in the hospital or taking care of my wife when I had to take her to Nairobi with a life-threatening heart problem, but for at least the last four years you could read and see what was going on here every day and still can.  When I first started writing it, I included so much about the poverty, death, and disease here that some of my best friends wouldn't read it because it was too depressing.  I took those concerns to heart and hope that you hear much more about hope than heartbreak.  The heartbreak still happens at least once a week, but there is so much hope here I think I have kept it in perspective.  There have been times when it was a joy to write and times when it was like pulling teeth, but I have always taken it as a public trust to keep those who care about us informed.  I know of about a dozen people who read it the first thing every day, and I love them for it.  However, what has surprised me has been the number of people I don't know in other countries who also read it.  An average of about fifty people a day read the blog from more than ten countries.  The country list for today is as follows in descending order of the number of readers:  USA, Tanzania, United Kingdom (Great Britain), Slovenia, Netherlands, France, Germany, Ireland, Poland, and Australia.  At times I have six or seven people a day from Russia and from China also reading it.  I know some of the people in the Netherlands, Germany, Australia, Ireland, and England who read it but not all of them.  It's amazing isn't it, that here in the bush of East Africa I can write and post pictures every day and know that they will be read and seen by people all over the world that very day.  David Livingstone, the famous 19th Century missionary had to wait six months just to get a letter to the edge of Africa and then on a ship.  We shared Christmas with my family in the US in real time with sight and sounds via the internet.  So, today, at the beginning of this year, I pledge to continue writing and posting pictures for those of you who care.  I have a good one for tomorrow about a trip I took to the Peruvian Amazon, but you will have to wait for tomorrow to read it.  Thank you.  I will never forget you.

Post a Comment